Receive Email Updates

Enter your email address to receive heritage updates

 
Document Actions

Eads Town Hall

On October 7, 1938 the Town of Eads held a huge celebration around the dedication of three buildings completed by WPA workers: the town hall, hospital, and the American Legion fairgrounds pavilion. To build the town hall native stone was hauled by truck from the Bristol/Granada area, some 50 miles away. Originally the building held both the town hall and library, with the upstairs rented to the Masons and Oddfellows lodges. The craftsmanship and sheer volume of stone used to construct the town hall and hospital is impressive, especially considering that generally all use of machinery was eschewed and stone was moved and worked by hand. The local workers were previously untrained.

110 West 13th Street
EadsCO  81036
(719) 438-5590


Hours of Operation
8 am-noon, 1-5pm, M-F. The interior has been remodeled; the distinguishing WPA features are on the exterior.
Directions
From US Hwy 50 7 miles west of Lamar take US Hwy 287 28 miles north to Eads. Turn right onto Maine Street and go .1 mile to West 13th Street. Turn left. The town hall is on the right.
Visitor Services
Parking
Travel Tips
For local historical information visit the Kiowa County Historical Museum just a block away at 1313 Maine Street. See also the museum's listing on this website. The Kiowa County Fairgrounds, where the WPA American Legion pavilion is located, is on US Hwy 287/96 just west of Eads' downtown. Restaurant/cafes in that area.
Entrance Fees
Free




Home | Our Supporters | Other Heritage Regions | Sitemap | Contact Us | Privacy Policy and Disclaimer |
   © 2010 Southeast Colorado Heritage

Colorado Journeys