Canyons & Plains of Southeast Colorado
The Canyons & Plains of Southeast Colorado Regional Heritage Taskforce is a six-county organization located in Southeast Colorado and is comprised of partners including local elected officials, National Park Service representatives, local preservation commissions, local chambers of commerce, local economic development agencies, local tourism-related businesses, The Colorado Welcome Center in Lamar, Colorado State Parks, Colorado Division of Wildlife, and interested citizens. The six counties include Baca, Bent, Crowley, Kiowa, Otero, and Prowers. With the help of a recent grant from the Colorado Tourism Office, we have been able to enhance our coverage to include the East Las Animas County area.
The mission of Canyons & Plains is to provide education and assistance to the public on the unique historical and cultural assets of the Southeast region of Colorado through:
- Educating all communities on their unique historical and cultural assets
- Providing a model for collaboration by continuously educating our own SECORHT members about the historical assets in the region
- Supporting the understanding, preservation, and appreciation of the unique historical, cultural and natural assets of the region.
Canyons & Plains was founded by members of six southeastern Colorado counties in 2003.
Canyons & Plains's programs and accomplishments can be categorized into the areas of education and training, research, marketing of historic sites, technical support to private landowners and entrepreneurs, youth and preservation prorams, stewardship, the promotion of adaptive reuse of historic buildings, and the introduction of heritage tourism as a viable new economic sector.
- Produced maps and tours of the region with information about anchors sites for public distribution, including tear-off countertop maps, high quality four-color Heritage Guidebooks to Southeast Colorado, a WPA driving tour of the Springfield region, and seven driving itineraries
- Expanded the High Plains Snow Goose Festival in Lamar to encompass events
- Sponsored Historic Theater workshop
- Sponsored Agritourism workshop
- Sponsored workshop on Benefits of Designation as a Certified Local Government through the Colorado Historical Society